It’s hard to believe that the first full week of 2018 is already on the books. Time seems to go by so quickly and if you are not organized and have a plan in place, you may miss out on some big opportunities this year. If you haven’t taken the time to create your 2018 schedule, you may need to block a day this week so you can sit down, uninterrupted and work on your first 30, 60 and 90-day goals and determine how you are going to reach them.
Goal setting is important if you want to succeed and they will give you a clear sense of direction and help keep you focused and on track. When setting goals, it is important to follow a few simple steps so you can create well-defined and carefully thought out steps to help you accomplish them.
“The victory of success is half won when one gains the habit of setting and achieving goals.” Og Mandino
Write Your Goals Down
Writing your goals down is important. I usually start by writing down things I want to accomplish and things I want to improve. It takes several sessions to create my goal list. I write them down and keep them where I see them on a daily basis (in my office, in the front of my planner, etc). You’ve heard over and over again, “out of sight, out of mind.” Don’t let your goals get buried in a pile of paperwork and be forgotten. You set your goals for a reason. It is important to work on them regularly.
“Determine what you want and why you want it. Once you understand what’s important, you can utilize your passions and achieve anything.” Brooke Griffin
Set SMART Goals
The acronym SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-Bound. I’ve blogged about SMART goals several times. It is easy to say, “I want to add new clients in 2018”, however, creating a SMART goal would be, “I want to add 2 new clients per month in January, February and March 2018.” Your goals should be clearly defined. Create them in a way that you will be able to measure your success. Your goals should be attainable and have a deadline. Remember, a goal without a date is just a dream!
Regularly Work on Your Goals
Too often, we set our goals, write them down and a few months later realize that we haven’t down a thing towards reaching them. Create a plan to work on your goals so that you will be able to mark them off as you reach each one. The only way to know that you are making progress is to keep your goals in front of you and consistently work on them. Take the time to celebrate when you achieve a goal. You may realize that you need to break down a few of your goals into smaller, more attainable goals in order to be victorious.
Never Give Up
We should always be working towards improving, whether it is in business or in our personal lives. As we reach a goal, we may choose to add another one. You may fall off track but it is never too late to simply start over. It is better to start something several times and complete it then to start it once, fail and never try it again. Our lives are busy and we need to be able to simply start again when we’ve strayed from our plan.
“Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.” Jim Rohn
As promised, I will share a couple of my professional goals for 2018. I also have a copy of a goal setting sheet that I would love to share with you. Simply email me at email@example.com and ask for the sheet and I will send it to you.
2018 Goals for Gardner Promotional Solutions
- Create monthly, printed, mailed newsletters by the 15th of each month. Include a “client of the month” to thank clients for their business and to encourage others to use their services.
- Write a blog that will be published every Monday in 2018.
- Update Website by February 15, 2018. Add a link to the blog and newsletter. Keep the website up to date by scheduling 1/2 day each month to refreshing the materials and offers (3rd Friday afternoon each month).
- Add 1-2 new clients each month in 2018.
- Schedule the Wednesday afternoon after ToastMasters (every other week) to stop by and bring a client a gift, a treat or a small thank you for working with me. This will create 26 opportunities to say “thank you” in person in 2018.
- Schedule and give a ToastMasters speech by May 1, 2018.
- Participate in 4 tradeshows in 2018.
- Follow Up – Be a person of your word. Complete quotes within 24-48 hours. Write thank you notes within 24-48 hours.
- Read at least 10 pages every day in books that are geared towards business, self-improvement, or professional growth.
- Be grateful for each opportunity, humble enough to admit mistakes and create happy clients where ever I go – every day of 2018.
Have a fabulous week!